With Spring finally here, more daylight hours and the weather improving it’s a fantastic time to get outdoors. Going for a long walk is one of my go-to ways to destress and keep active so I try and incorporate it into my daily routine when I can. Walking is great for complementing anaerobic exercises such as pilates.
Here are a few of my favourite walks and some of my top tips for getting the most out of your walks.
The Domain around the museum
The grounds around the domain are stunning no matter the season.
Nothing beats walking around this picturesque historic seaside town, I love this 7.5km walk around the harbour and up north head
Just on our doorstep and still one of my all time favourite walks by the water. There is such a cool vibe when the weather is good and the markets are on as well.
What could be better than a beautiful scenic walk along the waterfront? Added perks are that this is super flat and you can choose to go for a dip in the ocean if you are brave and fancy cold immersion therapy or go to a cafe for a coffee or smoothie afterwards.
This is a great challenge and worth the battle up the incline as the view of the city from the top is incredible.
My top tips to get the most out of your walks:
- Make sure you stay hydrated: Pack a good leakproof water bottle. Even better if you have one that keeps your water cold.
- Wear your apple watch to count your steps and track your heart rate – If thats your thing.
- Invest in good footwear and socks and save your feet from blisters – my favourites are my Nike Frees or Metcons. Although Metcons are a training shoe, I have found mine so good for walking.
- Wear layers, such as a light raincoat and SPF as the weather this time of year is so changeable.
- A good tip for everyday is to park your car further away to increase your steps incrementally.
What are your favourite walks?
Why do you love walking?